Sidewalk Winter Control Operator
Applications are being accepted for the temporary positions of Sidewalk Winter Control Operators within the Public Works Department. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
Works of hours
This role is required to work during or following snow storms for shifts ranging from 4 to 12 hours in duration. Hours will be as needed on a call-in basis, Sunday through Saturday up to a maximum of 12 hours per day and 60 hours per week. Ability to respond to the worksite within a reasonable response time is required.
This is a temporary position working from approximately the start of November 2022 until approximately mid-April 2023.
- Operate equipment relating to Sidewalk Winter Control operations including but not limited to Sidewalk Plow with Plow Blade or Snow Blower Attachment.
- Actively participate in a team environment.
- Complete daily logs and time sheets.
- Report vandalism, mechanical difficulties, equipment/property damage, etc.
- Report variances to daily work plans.
- Comply with all applicable regulations/requirements.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- You must possess a Class G licence with a good driving record and have held such licence for the past 5 years. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their license is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
Experience with relevant equipment such as snow blowers, sidewalk plows, farm tractors, skid steers and pick-up trucks with a plow would be an asset.
- Self-motivated with the ability to communicate in a cordial and professional manner.
- Able to perform physical labour including lifting and shoveling.
- Mechanically inclined with strong attention to detail.
$26.81 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit careers-guelph.icims.com.