Licensed Auto Truck & Coach Technician / Licensed Truck and Coach Technician
Website City of Guelph
City of Guelph
When you join the City of Guelph, you join a team of 2000 full and part-time employees who deliver services the community relies on every day. Together, we are bringing to life Guelph’s vision of an inclusive, connected, and prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
As a regional top employer, the City of Guelph values its employees and offers competitive salaries, excellent benefit packages, opportunities for professional development, a healthy work-life balance, and many roles with flexible work options. Our corporate values are integrity, service, inclusion, wellness, and learning. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Licensed Auto Truck & Coach Technician / Licensed Truck and Coach Technician with the Operations – Fleet Services Division. Reporting to the Supervisor of Fleet Services, the successful candidate will focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
Hours of work
40 hours per week, rotating shifts – 8:00am to 4:00pm, 4:00pm to 12:00am and 12:00am to 8:00am, Monday to Friday. Winter control on-call support is required.
· Perform all inspection, maintenance, and repair of all types of light and heavy vehicles, including diagnosis and correction of problems with diesel and/or gasoline engines, automatic transmissions, brakes, steering and other vehicle components as per approved policy.
· Hydraulic repairs and service.
· Lubricate, refuel, change oil, service tires and batteries, etc. as required.
· Accurate and legible record keeping.
· Participate in Apprentice training.
· Maintain a neat, tidy, and clean work place, and perform general housekeeping as required.
· Perform other related duties as assigned.
· Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through a Grade 12 education and four (4) years’ experience in the maintenance and repair of heavy vehicles. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
· Must possess a valid Truck & Coach Technician Licence (310T). 310S license or recognized credit towards obtaining a 310S considered an asset.
· First consideration will be given to applicants who possess both licenses. However, if positions remain available, second consideration will be given to employees who possess a valid Truck and Coach License (310T). The successful applicant(s) will be required to complete the automotive mechanics licence (310S) within a prescribed period of time as a condition of employment.
· Must possess a valid Class ‘DZ’ licence with a good driving record, or have a valid driver’s licence in good standing and be willing to obtain DZ within a specified time period. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current three year driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
· Must be computer literate and familiar with electronic diagnosis equipment.
· Computer keyboarding skills, and beginner skills in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel).
· Ability to perform heavy lifting, various levels of standing, climbing, sitting & crouching as required.
· Must be a reliable self-starter and able to prioritize tasks according to changing demands and work with or without supervision.
· Knowledge of WHMIS and the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
· Able to communicate in a cordial manner.
· Must be able to work effectively in a team environment and have a sincere focus on quality customer service.
In keeping with our corporate value of Wellness, The City of Guelph recognizes the many benefits of hybrid work arrangements including flexibility and better work-life balance for our employees. Where the work permits, employees will have the ability to participate in our Hybrid Work and our Flexible Time programs. Please note, this position is eligible for Hybrid and Flexible work arrangements (subject to change).
Grade 9: 310T and 310S $36.59 (310T & 310S)
Grade 7: 310T license only $33.67 (310T)
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit careers-guelph.icims.com.